The Guarnacci Etruscan Museum
The Guarnacci Museum is one of the oldest public Museums Cialis Online in Europe: it was established in 1761 when the noble abbot Mario Guarnacci, donated his considerable archaeological heritage, collected over years of research and purchases, to the “public of the city of Volterra”.
The donation – which also included a rich library of over 50,000 volumes – was an act of extreme foresightedness given that, as well as giving the city a very important cultural instrument, prevented the danger of losing this considerable heritage.
Guarnacci, a very learned historian, the author, amongst other things, of a history of the oldest inhabitants of Italy (“Le Origini Italiche”, Lucca 1767) which, as soon as it was published, sparked off lively debate in learned circles, certainly had the great merit of attracting the attention of the greatest intellects of the period, such as Giovanni Lami, Scipione Maffei and Anton Francesco Gori to Volterra.
These men dedicated themselves to the scientific divulgation of the material of his collection by means of important publications and constant news in magazines such as “Le Novelle Letterarie”, published in Florence by Lami himself.
The first headquarters of the Museum was Palazzo Maffei (in via Guidi, today Matteotti) especially purchased by the Monsignore to house his collection. After his death (in 1785), it was transferred, together with the library, to the thirteenth century Palazzo dei Priori. It remained there until 1877 when, expanded with donations, purchases and the results of successful research carried out directly by the scientific staff of the Institution, it was moved by the director Niccolò Maffei to Palazzo Desideri Tangassi, where it is still located today.
The actual layout and arrangement of the materials are based on Maffei’s classification by groups of objects and separation of the urns according to the subject of the bas-relief on the top.
In respect of this layout – a historical tradition of the museum – another, more informative one was devised, featuring a chronological route derived from the layout itself, in order to lead visitors along the long historical saga of the Etruscan Velathri.