Artistic Itineraries: the Church of S.Agostino
The church can be reached from Porta (Gate) S. Matteo, along Via Cellolese.
Its extremely simple facade still shows Online Blackjack many signs of its original architecture. The door on the right hand side of the church is normally used to enter the church rather than the doorway in the main facade.
The interior is built in a single nave with a trussed roof and three ogival apses. Construction on the Church of Sant’Agostino, in a single nave in Romanesque style with Gothic elements, first started in 1280 and was not completed until March 31st 1298, when it was consecrated by Cardinal Matteo d’Acquasparta. Prior Frà Domenico Strambi was instead responsible for the construction of the cloisters in the second half of the 15th century and the decoration of the church in Renaissance style. The Chapel of Blessed Bartolo whose mortal remains lie in the marble monument, carved in 1495 by Benedetto da Maiano, is of notable interest; the frescoes on the walls and roof were carried out in 1500 by Sebastiano Mainardi while the terracotta
paving is the work of Andrea della Robbia. The high altar is dominated by the Crowning of the Virgin with Saints, notable for their incisive lineaments, and a painted panel of 1483 by Piero del Pollaiolo.
Benozzo Gozzoli instead carried out the cycle of frescoes in the main chapel with episodes from the life of St. Augustine between 1464-1465 with the help of his students Pier Francesco Fiorentino and Giusto di Andrea, authors also of the votive fresco of St. Sebastian. The frescoed fragments by Bartolo di Fredi and a Madonna by Lippo Memmi (1317) are particularly beautiful, as well as the panel by Frà Bartolomeo of the Madonna and Saints (1530) and the 15th century wooden Crucifix in the Sacristy.