A splendid Carthusian Monastery
One of the most important tourist attractions in the district that still preserves much of its original beauty can be found just a few kilometres outside the arnaques casinos en ligne town of Castelnuovo Berardenga.
The Certosa or Carthusian Monastery of Pontignano belongs today to the University of Siena and is now part of the University college.
It was founded by a certain Bindo Petroni di Falcone, nephew of the same Cardinal Riccardo Petroni who was immortalized by Tino di Camaino in his funerary monument in the Cathedral of Siena.
A legal deed – notified in the presence of the Rector of the Church of San Pietro in Castelvecchio and dated August 8th 1343 – records the start of the construction of this splendid Carthusian monastery. The act also states that the Carthusian monastery was to be dedicated to St Peter and house twelve monks and three lay brothers.
After the Pazzi plot, during the terrible war between the Sienese and the Florentines, the monastery was set on fire and sacked, in spite of the fact that it had been placed under the protection of the Visconti family of Milan. The Carthusian monks were not able to start restoring it until the beginning of the XVI century. When Siena eventually fell to the powerful Medici family, the monastery did not suffer any further devastation, instead the great church was built in 1607 and consacrated by Archbishop Camillo Borghesi.
The temple still preserves valuable paintings by Poccetti and the Carthusian monk Stefano Cassiani from Lucca. Poccetti carried out several other beautiful frescoes in various parts of the monastery, though his finest and most important work is definitely the splendid Cenacolo or Last Supper in the Refectory. The Certosa suffered the same fate as many other religious buildings in the dark period under Napoleon; it was suppressed and the parish of San Martino at Cellole was transferred here. After several changes of hands, the Carthusian Monastery of Pontignano is flourishing once more under its new owner, the University of Siena.